Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home Sweet Home?

Ladies and Gentlemen

I thank you for joining me on this presentation of my homes away from home.

When asking my friend Webster what "at home" means, I get this: "relaxed and comfortable; at ease." I believe I have come to a disagreement with dear Webster. At least on the account of a home away from home.

Case #1 Rich Hall

Yes this is on-campus housing so I should have known what to expect, but never would I have thought the boiler would explode, sending us homeless for a week.

Here I am, trying to relax, and the fire alarm goes off. (This is a normal thing here. Some freshman is always burning something or blow drying their hair to high extremes) So we all make our way out of the building.

After finding out the boiler blew up, we were each escorted one by one into the building, grab everything we could for a week in 5 minutes, and then wait to find out where we would be living for the next while. Funny story is only 2 of the 6 roomies were here so we had to get everyone else's things too.

Although we were "homeless" for a week, this was probably one of the best experiences I've had, complete with drama, video, music, and more free food than we could stand.

Case #2 Summer House

Okay so really what could be better than spending a summer in a house full of girls? Here's the catch:

You don't know some of the girls

This used to be a frat house, it has really great art inside and out and smells like... use your imagination

This also used to be a battered women shelter. So it comes with random doorbells and security cameras.

You will be sharing the place with hobo spiders and endless box elder bugs.

The house comes with a surprise waterfall in the living room.

There are many fridges for your use, equipped with 50 year old food.

Case #3 UN

Ah and this is where I live currently, not the actual UN mind you, its just called that because of the many Indians that inhabit the place.

Guess what comes with Indians? Bed bugs.

Coming back from spring break, I walk into my apartment which is full of all of our stuff, but oh wait... everything is in boxes and garbage bags.

Our landlord decided that we were really going to get rid of the bugs and pack up all of our stuff (with us gone on spring break) and do a deep cleaning. We didn't quite realize what was going on until we came back and couldn't find anything. Bedding? Food? oh yes, they were there, just playing a major game of hide and seek.


As you can see, its a disaster. And not really that fun. We sometimes pretend it is Christmas and we just have to unwrap all our presents, but suddenly Christmas doesn't sound fun anymore...

Maybe next year I'll find my home sweet home.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy there was no case involving Cobble "crick" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, why no Cobble Creek issues? I had a few issues at CC. That is crazy that your landlord just packed up all your stuff without telling you. I'm sure I would not be happy.

    ReplyDelete