i have a "what do i do in this situation?" conundrum.
so i was shopping at smith's (what did you expect? every worthwhile grocery story happens at smith's) and a man approached me with the classic,"i need gas money and i forgot my credit card, will you help me?"
what do YOU do when this happens??
i told him i didn't have any cash. which i didn't.
then he told me he didn't have a credit card but he had a food card so he would help me pay for my groceries and i could get cash back for him.
i figured it wasn't my place to accuse him of lying. but i did tell him that i had a lot of shopping left to do so he should probably try asking someone else but he said he was too embarrassed to do so and would wait for me.
kinda creepy, right?
well despite the creepiness, i did end up helping him. he paid for part of my groceries, and i gave him cash back. there were lots of witnesses and he left right after i gave him the cash. don't worry, nothing happened after that. i went on my merry way and everything was good.
but it still makes me wonder. maybe he went to get alcohol? maybe he had other intentions? what should i do in this situation, friends?
This same thing happened to Derek and I. It's a scam. Not sure how it is, but we could just tell. He first approached us and commented on my hair and Derek's height. When he said he was from Wyoming and needed gas money he explained what you're talking about. He said, "To show you I'm not lying, here's my Wyoming Driver's License"
ReplyDeleteWell, he flashed that thing so fast at us that we barely saw that it was Wyoming, and he conveniently was covering the picture with his thumb...
When people ask me for gas money, I only give it to them when they're at or near the gas station. Ever since I went out of my way to give a guy 2 gallons of gas from my home and directed him to the gas station and his reply was "Oh, well I'll wait here to see if more people will help me." I've always been leary about the gas money ploy...
Jonessa
Pretend you don't speak English. Or start signing. I know you know some sign language. :)
ReplyDeleteyou are all geniuses. maybe i'll just start being honest and say i don't feel comfortable doing that sort of that. or work on my sign language. that's good too. and thanks jonessa, its good to know i'm not alone! but also creepy that it happens all over!
ReplyDelete