Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Not because of the food (I won't be able to fit much in my squished stomach anyway) but I really love spending time with family and feeling happy and grateful. My mom has a great quote that hangs in the bathroom, a place I'm quite familiar with nowadays, and it says, "The secret to having it all is knowing you already do and being grateful."
I am so thankful for our two baby girls. It has been a bit of an unexpected road for us, and it still is. I've looked back on the timing of everything, and how everything has played out, and it has worked out so much better than I could have planned myself.
For one thing, we had to be patient. Although having a baby took a little longer than I would have liked, it is pretty clear that God knew what we needed. One of the things I'm most grateful for this year, that I never thought would be the case, is the fact that I sneezed out my back last year. It was a miserable experience that brought a whole lot of embarrassing moments and doctor appointments, but what if that had happened while I was pregnant? Instead, I was able to do physical therapy, start running, and make my body in the best shape it had been in a long time, if not ever. Even though I joke about it, I cannot tell you how thankful I am that my body was more prepared to be pregnant, and for two babies! It is truly incredible what the human body can do. And it is clear that Heavenly Father has the best timing.
Pregnancy has been an amazing experience. It is amazing to see how these babies have developed. Because I'm carrying twins, I've had so many ultrasounds, and I'm so happy every time I get to see them. It's amazing how much they learn and grow constantly. And it's amazing how much I'm learning and my love for them is growing constantly.
But pregnancy is even better than that. I can't believe how many people have reached out to us. Eric and I have been so blessed to have so much support from family and friends. We've had many showers with people giving us gifts to help prepare for the babies. We've had offers from people to help watch them and help with meals or grocery shopping after they are born. I have had so many people ask me how things are going, or give me answers and advice to questions I've had and never asked.
This whole experience has been crazy and new and unexpected, and I think it will only be more so. The more I think about the future, the more questions I have, and the more nervous I get. But really, like I was reminded by a close friend, even though I will spend my whole life getting to know these girls and figuring out how to be the best I can for them, God already knows. He already knows them and what they each need, and I only have to turn to Him and work with Him to figure out what I need to do to be the best I can be.
I will make mistakes and I will be far from perfect, but I won't be alone. I've got the best team helping me along- friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, the best husband in the world, and Heavenly Father. And I am so grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment