Yesterday, my mom and I went to silent movie night. And it ROCKED! But not out loud because it's silent. except for the organ. Which, by the way, is so amazing. This guy played with no music, he just basically has the movie memorized and knows exactly when to make all the right sounds and melodies! Genius, I tell you!
I have this little obsession with silent movies as of late, if that wasn't obvious to you. Luckily, when my mom told me the Sandy Amphitheatre was having a free silent movie night, we were both able to go.
So, ahem, here are my facts about some of these fabulous stars. Mostly from imdb, another one of my little obsessions.
Meet Buster. Buster Keaton. So nicknamed because he fell down some stairs, unharmed, at the wise age of six months. And who wouldn't stick with a nickname given by Harry Houdini himself??? He is also known as "The Great Stone Face" because of his never changing expression.
Buster grew up doing vaudeville with his parents. They would toss him into the audience and thrown all over the place. In his silent films, he does all of his own stunts because he can take falling like a man.
And because of his talented bike ride in "Sherlock Jr", I have named my bike Buster.
Now meet Charlie Chaplin. Opposite of poker-face-Keaton, he has the greatest expressions. Who can resist this sly smile? His most famous character is "The Little Tramp" as above with the toothbrush mustache, bowler hat, bamboo cane, and funny walk.
I haven't seen "The Great Dictator" yet, but it is on my list! Now get this. Adolf Hitler thought that Charlie was Jewish and hated him. But, he knew how much everyone loved Charlie throughout the world, so he copied Charlie's mustache! He hoped he could win over fans with it! Who would have guessed? Sure didn't work, but we all still love Charlie.
I'm pretty sure no one would recognize him without his trademark mustache. Plus, since you only see him in black and white, you'd never know he has blue eyes!
Yes, indeed, he has some great moments. Check out his shows, and please admire all the other men with their insane facial hair, including the eyebrows.
I just saw my first film of Laurel and Hardy's last night. They are quite the pair to say the least.
From what I've learned, Laurel usually plays the childishly innocent man who always looks up to his friend, the childishly bossy Hardy. They are well known for getting into fights with other people and it usually involves destroying property.
I'm sure this is all more than you wanted to know, but sometimes I've just got to use this blog to express how awesome silent movies are, and they have become much too silent. I'm still convincing Eric that we will make one same day, so just wait and see. In the meantime, I cannot believe I haven't seen the Artist! What am I thinking? Don't worry. I will! Soon.











No comments:
Post a Comment