Wednesday, March 16, 2011

books

ok here's the catch up on what i've read lately...


Never Tell a Lie by Hallie Ephron

A woman shows up at a yard sale of some old high school classmates. She goes inside their house, but never comes out. The couple who live in the house are looking pretty guilty, and evidence keeps showing up against them, especially against the husband. Soon the wife isn't even sure what is true and what is a lie.

This one took me a while to get into but the end definitely had me going. I haven't read too many mystery books but I couldn't predict this ending. Pretty easy read. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.



Crank by Ellen Hopkins


A perfect teenager goes to visit her father and soon meets her "better self," Bree. Bree soon becomes addicted to the monster, becoming stronger and more powerful.

This book is about a girl who gets addicted to meth. Her life turns around completely. This book had an incredible writing style. I LOVED the way Ellen Hopkins wrote this. It was a form of poetry. The words would make pictures and draw out certain words; very artistic. It had so much emotion in it and you could really feel what the narrator felt. This novel had some language issues and sexual content to definitely watch out for. But after knowing people who have had drug problems and addictions, this definitely helped me understand better what they go through. 5 out of 5.



I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Ok, so you've probably seen the trailer... "3 are dead. I am number 4." I have to admit, I was very excited for this one. It sounded so intense! It's about an alien who has come to Earth to save his race while another group of aliens have come to kill them and destroy Earth while they are at it. Number four develops super powers, finds a girl, and fights off bad guys. (I feel like I've heard this before?)

No good. I was pretty disappointed. I could barely get through it. I kept thinking that maybe at the end it would get better, but no. It's no wonder the author uses a fake name... (ok, maybe that is too harsh?) I've heard people were disappointed with the movie, but I bet the movie is better than the book. 1 star.


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness


Prentiss Town isn't like any other town. Everyone can hear everyone's thoughts. It is an overwhelming stream of noise. Then, Todd stumbles upon a spot of silence. In a town where privacy is impossible, something has been kept hidden. A secret that sends Todd on the run.

I can't say much about this one without spoiling a lot of it. It is a writing style that is very hard to get used to. Because it is all about thoughts, there are a lot of run-on sentences, misspelled words, and bad punctuation. At first, I didn't like it, but I slowly got addicted. Everything goes crazy, which is probably why it is called the "Chaos Walking" series. 3 stars.

Warning: When you get to the end, it doesn't end at all. You have to read the sequel...


The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

I can't even give you a little review of this one until you've read the first one, but chaos definitely grows and there is a war. I liked this one better than the first one, probably because I was more used to the style and more connected to the characters and the story. Again, it doesn't actually end, so I'll be reading the third one asap. 4 stars.


Numbers by Rachel Ward


Whenever Jem looks into someone's eyes, she sees the day they are going to die. She meets a friend, who she reluctantly gets attached to, who is going to die in a month's time. They are in the city when she suddenly noticed many people who have the same date, and it also happens to be that day. Jem and her friend run while a bomb goes off, making them suspicious. They run while Jem tries to figure out how to keep her friend alive.

I like the idea of this book a lot. The concept is very cool and very intriguing. The book was very disappointing. The end put me over the edge. Lots of bad language in this one too. 1.5 stars.


Can I just say I love not having homework so I can read more? So awesome! If you have any recommendations, share the wealth!

5 comments:

  1. The Moonraker's Bride by Madeline Brent. I haven't read it yet but only hear good things - it's old so have fun tracking it down. I now own it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "I Am Not a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells. It was very creepy and yet I couldn't put it down. It is set in a mortuary, and there are graphic descriptions of what morticians do to bodies to prep them for burial, so be prepared for lots of guts... But I liked the book and I'll be watching for more work by Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I'll read a book. . .until that day though I will be doing homework like a good student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow woman! You read a ton! I'm super jealous! I wish I had that much time to read. With your job and fiance/wedding planning where do you find the time? With my job and girlfriend I have almost no spare time.
    Robin and I are currently reading a book together. Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. It's about a future society where machines do all the work and engineers control everything, reducing all regular people into a state of idle dissatisfaction. I'm still getting into it but it is pretty good so far. Mildly 1984ish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alliance by Gerald Lund is one of my favorite books. It is about agency and is one of my favorites. The Children of the Promise(Dean Hughes) is a 5 book historical fiction series that I love. It is about an family during WWII. Very intense but one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete