Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Top Ten Callers (the life of a phone operator)

10. The automated messages

"Hello."
(pause until you say hello back so you think they are real)
"This is an important call for....LEEEAARND."

9. The mothers

These are those who have college sons incapable of making their own phone calls. Man up!

8. The elephants who "never" forget

"oh... hey... uh.."
"how may i direct your call?"
"uh... i can't remember why i called! isn't that funny?"
"..yep... you can call back when you remember."
"oh no! its right on the tip of my tongue! wait for it..."
-awkward silence-
"ok. i'll call back."

7. The storytellers

"Hello! So back in 1976 i went to school there and lived in the dorms and was taking my generals while i waited for my future husband to come back from his mission. He was going to marry me you see and then he was going to go into engineering while i provided him to go to school. in fact did you know he made me a true aggie? oh it was just perfect. i was taking so many classes and working so hard and it was great and i was just wondering if you could help me figure out what classes i took?"

6. The Grumps who have decided to never be happy again

"hello."
"how may i direct your call?"
"i don't want my call directed! i just want the blasted phone number!"
"which phone number do you need?"
"ugh! can't you do anything right? i obviously just tried calling who i needed and we were disconnected and they didn't do anything to help me. this place is full of nincompoops!"

5. The incapable

"Hi can you look up the phone number to the movie theater in Hong Kong for me?"

4. The language barrier

This one doesn't need explanation. Just believe me when I say it doesn't go too well.

3. The awkward silencers

"oh i'm sorry! wrong number."
silence.
"no problem."
"okay cool."
silence.
silence.
"ok bye!"

2. The accidental entertainers

These are the people who don't realize that you can still hear them. You can usually catch them having very awkward conversations or singing "i'm bringing sexy back"

1. The ones who think you are the solution to everything (and yes this is an actual call I have received)

"Hello, I was driving thru Logan last week and I met this really hot girl. She gave me her number but I accidentally lost it. Do you know where I can get her number? I think her name started with an M or something."

Bonus: The Creeper

I'm adding this one cause it happened right after I posted it. Yep a man called and kept telling me how sexy and beautiful and how calming my voice is and told me how he feels when he calls a girl who sounds like that. He then continued to ask for my name (no i didn't tell him) and he wanted to give me his phone number so he could hear my voice more... uh creepy!!

4 comments:

  1. My favorites are the incapable, and the creeper. You have really outdone yourself this time, this is a fine example of excellent blogmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok where do you work? good thing all my phone jobs have been outbound though i can still relate to most of these!

    ReplyDelete